Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- “The Impact of Diasporas on the Tactics of Rebel Groups: The Case of the IRA and Noraid.” (with Ronit Berger Hobson) Studies in Conflict & Terrorism, available online ahead of print.
- “Typological Varieties of Transnational Jihadism and Implications for Conflict Resolution,” Perspectives on Terrorism 2022, 16(1): 12-22.
- “Ripeness in Negotiating with Proscribed Terrorist Groups,” Ethnopolitics 2022, 21(2): 178-189.
- “Failed Negotiations and the Dark Side of Ripeness: Insights from Egypt.” International Negotiation 2020, v. 25: 463-494.
- “Grievances and Fears in Islamist Movements: Revisiting the Link between Exclusion, Insecurity, and Political Violence.” Journal of Global Security Studies 2020, 5(1): 44-62.
- “Organizational Dynamics, Public Condemnation and the Impetus to Disengage from Violence.” Terrorism and Political Violence, available online ahead of print.
- “Blunders and Blame: How Armed Non-State Actors React to their Mistakes.” (with Ronit Berger) Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 2017, 40 (5).
- “What Makes Negative Frames Resonant? Hamas and the Appeal of Opposition to the Peace Process.” Terrorism and Political Violence 2012, 24: 671-705.
- “The Impact of the Arab Spring on Islamist Strategies.” Journal of Strategic Security 2012, 5(2): 27-46.
- “Resistance to Alien Rule in Taiwan and Korea.” (with Michael Hecher and Chris Hale) Nations and Nationalism 2009, 15(1): 36-59.
Opinion and Commentary
- “The Effects of Proscription on the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt,” Canopy Forum (Center for the Study of Law and Religion, Emory University), march 25, 2023.
- “Muslim Brotherhood at the crossroads: Where now for Egypt’s once-powerful following leader’s death in exile, repression at home?” The Conversation, December 16, 2022.
- “Why do rebel groups apologize?” (with Ronit Berger) The Conversation, July 3, 2019. (Reprinted in 17 American news outlets, The Conversation UK, and translated into French by YesMag).
- “The Meaning of Violence and Nonviolence after Charlottesville.” Political Violence @ a Glance, August 23, 2017.
- “Why ISIS Will Not Thrive in Indonesia.” Political Violence @ a Glance, January 29, 2016.
- “Responding to ISIS Attacks: Revenge Might Be Sweet, but Is It Effective?” Inside Sources, November 18, 2015. (Reprinted in The Last Vegas Sun, The Times and Democrat, The Courier Post).
- “Democracy, Inclusion and Political Moderation: Lessons from Religious Movements in the Middle East and Indonesia.” (with Alexander R. Arifianto) Middle East-Asia Project, Middle East Institute, January 9, 2018.
- “El Arish and the Sinai Peninsula Underworld, Egypt.” (with John Gay) National Strategy Forum Review 2011, 20(3).